Best Dog Shampoo for 2023 (Top 7) – Reviews & Buying Guide
Dogs are family members too. We love them, care for them the way we do it for our human kids. We buy them tasty treats, funny toys, comfy beds – all special things created for dogs’ wellbeing.
And what about washing? Your dog needs a bath several times per month to stay fresh and healthy, just like you do. Typically, dogs require bathing when they get dirty or smelly. A good bath once a month is a must even for a house doggie – it will help to get rid of dead hairs, skin flakes, and grease.
There are many dog shampoos on the market today. They are not just pet versions of generic liquid washes; these products have entirely different formulas than those of human treatments. Additionally, the pH balance of a dog and a human are not the same.
Thus, you better not to try your own favorite dog shampoo for your pup (yes, even the babies one!), because it can cause severe issues with his coat and skin. Opt for a decent special shampoo and have your dog beautiful and happy! Here is our rating of the top-notch products, including the ones with special effects.
- 1 Best Dog Shampoo Comparison Chart
- 2 Reviews of the Best Dog Shampoo in 2023
- 2.1 1. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo – Our Top Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin in 2023
- 2.2 2. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo – Best Dog Shampoo that Treats Parasites and Infections
- 2.3 3. FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo – Dog Shampoo that Dramatically Reduces Shedding
- 2.4 4. Wahl Flea & Tick Repelling Dog Shampoo for Pets – Flea Prevention Dog Shampoo
- 2.5 5. Fresh ‘n Clean Scented Shampoo – Great pick Dog Shampoo for Long-Coated Dogs
- 2.6 6. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner – Best Smelling Dog Shampoo, Fights Odor
- 2.7 7. Burt’s Bees for Puppies Tearless 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner with Buttermilk and Linseed Oil – Best Shampoo for Puppies, Best Dog Shampoo for Allergies
- 3 How to Bath Your Dog? Useful tips for 2023.
Best Dog Shampoo Comparison Chart
| Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
Editor's Choice 2020
Veterinary Formula Antiparasitic Shampoo
- Treats Parasites and Infections
| FURminator deShedding Dog Shampoo
- Dramatically Reduces Shedding
Wahl Flea & Tick Repelling Dog Shampoo
- Flea Prevention
Fresh ‘n Clean Scented Shampoo
- Great for Long-Coated Dogs
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Fights Odor
| Burt’s Bees for Puppies 2 in 1
- Best for Puppies
Reviews of the Best Dog Shampoo in 2023
Wondering what is the best dog shampoo? Here’s our top picks for the best dog shampoo: for dry skin, itchy skin, dogs with allergies[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row] [vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text h_color=”#70c3b7″]
1. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo – Our Top Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin in 2023[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
This ultra-concentrated All Natural Pet Shampoo by Earthbath has won the first place of the rating due to its safety and efficiency. The brand has a range of pet wash products, but this one is the classic formula beloved by dog parents all over the U.S. It contains oatmeal and aloe Vera to care about dry, allergic, or irritated dog skin. If your pup is scratching himself because of these issues, the All Natural will help him quickly.
The formula is soap-free; thus, it is tearless too. You won’t need much of the shampoo to wash your dog. It lathers very well on the dog’s hair and rinses off completely, leaving the slight scent of vanilla.
The Oatmeal & Aloe formula is good for dogs prone to allergies. It is compatible with flea and tick topical treatment. We especially like the fact it’s not tested on animals, and its bottle is made of environment-friendly material.
- Almond & vanilla scent
- Well-balanced formula
- Anti-flea treatment compatible
- Heals itchy skin
- Reduces irritation and inflammation
- Good for dry skin and coat
2. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo – Best Dog Shampoo that Treats Parasites and Infections[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
There are dogs that have not only dry skin or allergy; their issues are way more serious. Bacteria, fungi, mange, seborrhea, and many others can cause severe problems with the dog’s skin and coat. All parasitic infestations need professional help along with thorough care.
The Clinical Care Medicated Shampoo by Veterinary Formula offers pet parents the decision on how to help their fur babies in trouble. Its formula contains oatmeal and Allantoin to relieve the rash and inflammation. The active healing components are salicylic acid, coal tar, and micronized sulfur. They cure even such heavy symptoms like dermatitis, flaky skin, and bald spots. Just start with 2-3 times washes per week and lessen when the condition becomes better.
You can use it on pups aged 12 weeks and older. This wash will treat numerous of very complex skin and coat diseases, as customers claim. From dandruff to infections, to hot spots – this is an emergency therapy of a premium grade.
- Treats fungal and bacterial infections
- Fights parasites
- Treats seborrhea, greasy skin, irritation
- Can be used on horses too
- Parabens and soap-free
- You may need additional treatment recommended by your vet to cure heavy issues
3. FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo – Dog Shampoo that Dramatically Reduces Shedding[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The deShedding Ultra Premium by FURminator is aimed to help pet parents with dog hair falling around. The formula contains Omega fatty acids, and natural herbs extracts to promote healthy and good-looking dog coat. Although the ingredients are very fine, this particular shampoo is not recommended for dogs with skin issues.
This product is designed as a part of professional grooming care. If you have a heavy shedding dog, wash him or her with this FURminator once a month, and you’ll see the difference. The shampoo helps dead hairs fall out while bathing, especially in case you use a washing brush or glove. As a result, you’ll get the dog that is not covering with his hair all around him. Profit!
The deShedding has no parabens or artificial dyes in its formula; thus, it is allowed for young puppies too.
- Leaves less dog hair to fall free
- Professional treatment
- Omega-3 and 6 enriched
- No chemical dyes
- Can be used on puppies from 6 weeks old
- Not for allergies and skin issues
4. Wahl Flea & Tick Repelling Dog Shampoo for Pets – Flea Prevention Dog Shampoo[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
Flea & Tick Repelling Shampoo by Wahl is our next favorite one. It’s two in one actually because it is good at washing a dog coat, and it prevents pests simultaneously.
The shampoo contains only natural herbs to keep fleas and ticks away from your pet. There are rosemary, cedar, and eucalyptus in it – all these plants have smells that pests don’t like and try to avoid. Therefore, your dog will have a slight scent of these components after bathing.
The formula is pH balanced, paraben-free, and alcohol-free at the same time, so it’s a perfect wash to keep your pup’s coat and skin healthy.
The thing that this shampoo isn’t for – eliminating the existing pests on the dog. It is not an insecticide; thus, you need to have one for your pup if it has fleas already.
- Effectively prevents flea & tick infestation
- Rosemary and eucalyptus smell
- Mild wash for all hair types
- No parabens and other
- Larger bottle for the price
- Doesn’t kill fleas or larvae
5. Fresh ‘n Clean Scented Shampoo – Great pick Dog Shampoo for Long-Coated Dogs[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The next on the list is the basic Scented Shampoo by Fresh ‘n Clean. This wash has excellent customer feedback, basically on how it reduces dog smell. Its floral scent is claimed to last for two weeks, so your pup won’t bother you with his unpleasant “doggy” odor.
Moreover, the wash contains aloe and vitamin E to make dog coat really shiny, soft, and smooth. Extra conditioners are the reason this shampoo works good for long-coated dogs prone to tangles and matting. It definitely will help to detangle and comb their long hairs. Plus, there is an antistatic component in it to help manage the dog hair in between bathings.
Short-coat breeds benefit from this wash as well, as it doesn’t burn eyes and cares about coat thoroughly. Due to its ability to keep moist, the hair and skin won’t get overdried, which is a wide extended problem in dogs. You can improve the result by using additional products like conditioner or spray.
- Helps with tangles and mats
- Pleasant floral smell for weeks
- Recommended by groomers
- Do not treat skin issues
6. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner – Best Smelling Dog Shampoo, Fights Odor[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The Supreme Odor Control by Nature’s Miracle is one more cleaning treatment containing oatmeal. This is the outstanding ingredient for keeping pet skin and coat healthy and shiny. It can even treat irritated or dry skin.
In some cases, the diseases can cause bad odor on dogs. If it’s your case, you definitely need to consult your veterinarian to choose the proper treatment for your fur baby.
Nonetheless, here’s the solution for neutralizing dog odor almost immediately. This wash can be used along with medications, as it doesn’t interact with them. The Nature’s Miracle formula has mild natural agents for ultimate cleaning pet fur and deodorizes it. As it’s said, there are no soap, chemical dyes, or parabens; therefore, it’s safe for dogs.
The formula is 2-in-1 with a conditioner, which is a good help for long-coated dogs as it allows to maintain their hair without mats. Plus, your pup’s hair will have the pleasant smell of honey sage instead of stinking.
- Beats even the ugliest odors
- Washing and conditioning treatment in one
- A pleasant scent of honey sage
- Soap, dye, and paraben-free formula
- Made in the U.S.
- Doesn’t replace medication in some cases of bad odor
- Some find the scent too strong
7. Burt’s Bees for Puppies Tearless 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner with Buttermilk and Linseed Oil – Best Shampoo for Puppies, Best Dog Shampoo for Allergies[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The last product on the list is the tearless one by Burt’s Bees for Pets. We have included it here as the best wash for puppies, since it has the special, very mild and hypoallergenic formula.
Due to its 2-in-1 formula, this wash will make your puppy’s coat soft and soothe its gentle skin. With perfectly balanced pH it is suitable for dogs of all ages, including ones prone to allergies. The linseed and buttermilk are ingredients behind the outstanding effect of this pup shampoo.
The Burt’s Bees for Puppies provides mild cleaning without harsh chemicals. It is also a budget buy.
The downside of this dog wash can be its gentle lather agents. Since it is scentless, the intense doggy odor may last after bathing, and the dirt and grease may do, as well. Young puppies typically have less grease and odor on their coat, so this shampoo works for them well.
- Extra safe and gentle wash
- No fragrance, dyes, soap
- Conditioner included
- Great price
- Not effective for dirty and smelly adult dogs
- Doesn’t deodorize
How to Bath Your Dog? Useful tips for 2023.
- Wash your dog with warm water in a handy place. Lather the wet coat avoiding eyes, ears, and mouth.
- Never use human shampoo for your pup. Their skin has different pH balance, so our wash can cause issues to dogs.
- Use a rubber grooming brush or glove while washing your dog to remove dead hair. This trick will reduce shedding.
- If you’re a new dog owner, opt for an oatmeal shampoo first. This is the top-notch ingredient suitable for most dogs and puppies. Read the instruction carefully.
- Rinse the dog wash off very thoroughly. Don’t let the pet drink or lick the shampoo.
- In case of skin irritation, flakes, hot spots, or another unhealthy condition, stop using the wash and ask your vet about it.