Best Dog Life Jackets and Vests for 2023 (Top 5) – Reviews & Buying Guide
The life jackets for dogs may seem not necessary since everybody knows that dogs can swim very well. In fact, it’s not exactly so. Every dog parent must know that canines not very good in swimming by nature. Some breeds are better than other though.
There are dogs that can’t swim at all, and their owners may not know about it! All brachycephalic dog breeds, like Pugs, Shih Tzu, and Pekingese, can’t swim at all and drown almost immediately if they get into the deep water. Their short skulls, short noses, and flat faces don’t allow them to breathe while swimming.
Dogs that are known as good swimmers can get into trouble in the water too. They can get scared, tired or disoriented somehow, that can lead to tragedy. Every pet parent must do anything to avoid the incidents on water, whether it great open waters or backyard pool. The best way available is using the dog pfd every time you take your canine friend to the open water or let him play with you in the pool.
Dog life jackets vary in sizes, construction, type of fasteners, design, and safety features. This guide will help you to choose the one dog life vest that’s perfect for you and your pup. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_column_text]
- 1 Best Dog Life Jacket 2023 Comparison Chart
- 2 Life Jackets for Dogs Reviews in 2023
- 2.1 1. Outward Hound Granby Splash Dog Life Jacket – Best Dog Life Jacket in 2023
- 2.2 2. Paws Aboard Dog Life Jacket for Swimming and Boating – Best Small Dog Life Jacket
- 2.3 3. RUFFWEAR – Float Coat Dog Life Jacket for Swimming – Best Dog Life Vest 2020 for Water Sports
- 2.4 4. Vivaglory Ripstop Dog Preserver Vest – Best Budget Dog Life Jacket in 2023
- 2.5 5. EzyDog Doggy Flotation Device (DFD) – Best Flotation Device Dog Life Vest Jacket in 2023
- 3 Life Jacket for Dogs Buying Recommendations and Verdict
Best Dog Life Jacket 2023 Comparison Chart
| Outward Hound Granby Splash Dog Life Jacket
Editor's Choice 2020
| Paws Aboard Dog Life Jacket
- Runner Up
| RUFFWEAR Float Coat Dog Life Jacket
- Best for Water Sports
| Vivaglory Ripstop Dog Preserver Vest
- Best for Your Budget
| EzyDog Doggy Flotation Device
- Best Buoyancy
Life Jackets for Dogs Reviews in 2023
What is the best dog life jacket? See our picks for the best dog life vests.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row] [vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text h_color=”#70c3b7″]
1. Outward Hound Granby Splash Dog Life Jacket – Best Dog Life Jacket in 2023[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
Our best choice life vest for dogs is the Granby Splash Dog Life Jacket by Outward Hound. This one is favorite by many customers who left positive feedback on the product. Granby Splash flotation device for dogs has perfect buoyancy due to foam panels in it and special constructional features.
This product has the neck float to help a dog keep his face above the water. It’s a critically important feature if you have a Bully dog or any other pup with short skull. No matter if you buy this canine pfd or another one, be sure it has this float feature below the jacket’s neck opening.
This particular product has all the necessary features: belly straps and buckles for comfortable size adjustment, bright color for better visibility in the water, and rescue handles on the back. These handles are intended for emergency rescue of a frightened dog. Most dog life jackets have one handle to let you take the dog off the water. This Outward Hound pfd has two handles, which allow more comfort for larger dogs and their parents. The large weight distributes better and it’s easily to pull the heavy dog with two hands.
- Neck float is a must have for brachycephalic dogs
- Bright colors
- Sizes from XS to XL
- Great buoyancy
- Two handles on the back
- Secure buckles and straps
- Needs to measure your dog very carefully for accurate sizing
- No hook ups for a leash
2. Paws Aboard Dog Life Jacket for Swimming and Boating – Best Small Dog Life Jacket[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The Paws Aboard dog life jacket is our runner up because it’s very close to the first place. It has great design with 8 color options for every taste. The material is fade-resistant, so it will stay nice for years. Your pup wearing this flotation jacket will be the fashionista of a dog on every beach! Additionally, it has reflective stripes, which is very helpful in the dark.
This product has great security features such as adjustable neck and belly straps and fast-release buckles. Thanks to them, you’ll be able to put it on/off your dog in a few seconds. It also has the back handle and a ring to attach a leash.
This vest also has wide size range allowing you to pick the proper size for almost any dog. Just measure the pup’s body girth and weight, then compare the numbers to the size chart and opt the large size for your case. For example, if the girth complies with the medium size and the weight complies with the large size, I need to purchase the L. You’ll be able to adjust straps right on your dog to make it fit perfectly.
- D-ring for a leash
- Variety of stylish color options
- Adjustable straps
- XXSmall size is available
- Doesn’t help a dog to keep his head above water
3. RUFFWEAR – Float Coat Dog Life Jacket for Swimming – Best Dog Life Vest 2020 for Water Sports[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The Ruffwear Float Coat is the most expensive life jacket on the list, but to be true, it’s worth the price. This product is made of very quality materials that help your dog swim without efforts. Its foam pads are located in the special way to hold the canine body in the right position.
It’s very important to mention the unique telescoping neck with adjustable closure; this feature provides the natural position of the dog’s head above the water. Even short-skulled breeds will be able to swim comfortably wearing this float coat.
The Ruffwear product is more expensive that the rest top-rated pfd for canines due to its thoughtful design and reliability. The buckles on the straps are hidden yet easy-to-clip. All the sews and fabric sustain wet conditions very well, and the whole piece is very long-lasting. So is the handle and the leash attachment ring.
The life jacket has the reflective trim on the sides and additional loop for attaching the Beacon. This way your pup will be safe and secure even in the worst weather conditions. The Ruffwear is the great purchase for those who often shares water activities with a dog because it’s unbeatable in sturdiness.
- Very sturdy – will last for years
- Reflective trim
- Holds the dog in natural position while swimming
- Sleek design with covered buckles
- Telescoping neck for different skulls
- Water-compatible webbing
- The most expensive on the list
4. Vivaglory Ripstop Dog Preserver Vest – Best Budget Dog Life Jacket in 2023[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The Ripstop Preserver Vest by Vivaglory is another budget option for pet parents who care about their canine babies. It has good buoyancy without restricting dog’s natural swimming movements. You can opt from 8 highly-visible color varieties to show your dog’s personality. All of them have reflective trims for additional safety.
Vivaglory Ripstop has the reliable handle and D-ring to attach the leash for extra security on the water. This life jacket will the perfect choice for any situation around the open water, a pool or as emergency device.
The size needed for your dog is still the doubtful thing for pet parents, so Vivaglory has resolved the issue by providing the dedicated customer service available online. You can contact the team to ask anything regarding choosing the pfd for your dog, his measurements etc.
- 90-days warranty
- Variety of bright colors to choose from
- Budget-friendly option
- Fits for very different dogs
- Frequent pulling can rip the handle off
5. EzyDog Doggy Flotation Device (DFD) – Best Flotation Device Dog Life Vest Jacket in 2023[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″] [vc_column_text]
The Doggy Flotation Device by EzyDog is another premium quality product on the rating. It is pricey but the result is great too. This one will fit the frequent users who take their pet to boating, kayaking, rafting, surfing etc. First, it’s super durable and will last for years. Second, the device has 50% more flotation padding, thus its buoyancy is way better than those of other flotation devices. Having this DFD on your dog, you can be sure he won’t get drowned even in harsh conditions in the water.
The handle on the back is very sturdy to let you pull the dog out the water for ages and don’t get ripped. So is the reflective trim that lets you see your dog even in the dark.
This DFD doesn’t have the dog’s belly full-covered, so that your pup won’t get overheated. There are two adjustable straps which are closed with buckles on the back. It’s very handy for an owner because easy access allows take off the floatation device faster in case of emergency.
- The belly straps don’t cover it completely
- Extremely helpful in flotation
- Comfortable buckles location for easy reach
- Good for larger dogs
- Neck design keeps the head above the water
- The higher price
- For dogs up to 90lb
Life Jacket for Dogs Buying Recommendations and Verdict
All in all, the main recommendation is to have the DFD for your dog in any case you take him to water. Even if you let him play by the pool, there is a possibility of incidents for undefended dog.
Buy a top-notch life vest by Ruffwear or EzyDog if you take your pup to the open water frequently, as these devices are designed for heavy use. They are more expensive than the rest on the line, but are worth it. There are also several life jackets for dogs for the money which are reliable as well. They will serve you well, maybe not for too long though.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][/vc_column][/vc_row]